We’ve just deployed some Unified Messaging (UM) servers with Primary and Failover pairs, so we’re currently migrating users from Unity Voicemail only servers (VMO) to Unified Messaging servers (UM).
The current VMO servers (3 of them) currently serve 3 clusters, consisting of about 40 sites, in a multi-tenant deployment, hence we’re running this as a phased migration.
While the migration itself is going on without stress, we started getting MWI issues on different site right after cutting them over. This had me and my colleague pulling our hair out in some occasions cos users were raising tickets like: “Can’t retrieve my messages“, “No messages but light won’t go off” “I’ve got voicemails in my e-mail box, but the lights on my phone isn’t coming on“…….the list is endless!!!
After some troubleshooting, we found out that users weren’t deleting their messages on the VMO servers prior to migration (even though they had all been advised to listen to messages and delete them on the eve of the cutover).
Because we are cutting-over the sites in phases, we can’t take the VMO servers out of service, at least no yet cos they were still being used. Also, the project lead doesn’t want to delete the subscribers off the VMO, just in case we needed to regress.
My colleague and I came up with a simple solution with three steps:
– we launched Message Store Manager within the Unity Tools Depot and ran a script to move unread messages from inbox into deleted items or Unity Dumpster for subscribers that had been cutover from VMO to UM
– Secondly, we used Bulk Edit tool to uncheck USE MWI for Message Notification (under the messages tab)
– Lastly, we resync’ed the MWI on the new UM servers (under UTIM).
That was the last we saw of the Phanton MWIs 😉